Garcia Casco Antonio
The aim is to learn how deciphering the dynamics of the Earth by studying rocks.
Petrology: Quantitative approaches (15 hours of lectures and tutorials)
• Observation and analysis techniques: Instruments (Microprobe, SEM, Raman)
• Stoichiometry, chemography: application of linear algebra
• P-T evolution of rocks, role of fluids: application of thermodynamics
Quantification of Pressure and Temperature (15 hours of lab practical)
• Individual research mini-projects on natural samples (thin sections)
• Characterization of mineralogy and mineral chemistry (Probe, SEM)
• Calculation of structural formulas
• Introduction to Pseudosection modeling and construction of a pressure-temperature path
This formation (unique in France) aims at training future PhD students in hard-rock geology and petrology: it provides all the tools and the analytical procedure to reconstruct the history of a rock sample. It also provides the opportunity to all the participants to become familiar with standard analytical techniques such as electron probe and scanning electron microscopy.
Knowledge in optical microscopy (mandatory), mineral chemistry, metamorphic petrology.