An integrated web-based system for observatories networks management and monitoring
François Beauducel and Didier Lafon
Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris - Observatoires Volcanologiques et Sismologiques
WebObs is an integrated web-based system for data monitoring and networks management. Seismological and volcanological observatories have common needs and often common practical problems for multi disciplinary data monitoring applications. In fact, access to integrated data in real-time and estimation of uncertainties are keys for an efficient interpretation, but instruments variety, heterogeneity of data sampling and acquisition systems lead to difficulties that may hinder crisis management. In the Guadeloupe observatory, we have developed in the last 15 years an operational system that attempts to answer the questions in the context of a pluri-instrumental observatory. Based on a single computer server, open source scripts (with few binaries) and a Web interface, the system proposes:
WebObs is described in the following paper: Beauducel F., D. Lafon, X. Béguin, J.-M. Saurel, A. Bosson, D. Mallarino, P. Boissier, C. Brunet, A. Lemarchand, C. Anténor-Habazac, A. Nercessian, A. A. Fahmi (2020). WebObs: The volcano observatories missing link between research and real-time monitoring, Frontiers in Earth Sciences, doi:10.3389/feart.2020.00048.
- an extended database for networks management, stations and sensors (maps, station file with log history, technical characteristics, meta-data, photos and associated documents);
- a web-form interfaces for manual data input/editing and export (like geochemical analysis, some of the deformation measurements, ...);
- routine data processing with dedicated automatic scripts for each technique, production of validated data outputs, static graphs on preset moving time intervals, possible e-mail alarms, sensors and station status based on data validity;
- in the special case of seismology, a multichannel continuous stripchart associated with EarthWorm/SeisComP acquisition chain, event classification database, automatic shakemap reports, regional catalog with associated hypocenter maps.
IMPORTANT: when upgrading from a previous version, please read carefully the information at the end of the procedure: some updates may require changes in your configuration files.
What's new in the 2.1 ?
- GNSS superproc has new features (improved graphic and modelling capabilities);
- Sefran3 has now signal filtering possibility (lowpass, highpass, bandpass);
- additional parameters for node's events (link to feature or channel, sensor/data outcome, ...);
- new search tool for node's events;
- new superproc mc3stats to make statistics on seismic events;
- all background maps can merge SRTM and ETOPO;
- domains are editable through GUI;
- security update, improvements and fixes in all existing superprocs.
What's new in the 2.0 ?
- code is now on github/IPGP/webobs;
- smarter setup to automatically update configuration files;
- auto-registration for new users;
- scheduler kill job command;
- improvements and fixes in all existing superprocs.
What's new in the beta-1.8 ?
- a security fix in woc;
- new data format EarthWorm Winston Wave Server;
- new superproc "RSAM" plotting timeseries and source location maps;
- new superproc "SARA" plotting seismic amplitude ratio analysis;
- channel selection in each NODE for associated PROCS;
- new timescale with a reference date;
- PROCS graph outputs have a new default page "overview" with thumbnails;
- events in time series background have now a pop-up window with event name;
- improvements and fixes in all existing superprocs.
What's new in the beta-1.7 ?
- a major update of Hebdo: the Gazette!
- superproc "GENPLOT" improved with a lot of new parameters;
- new superproc "HYPOMAP" plotting earthquake maps from different data sources (HYPO71 catalog file, FDNS WebService, QuakeML events tree, ...);
- new superproc "TREMBLEMAPS" producing elaborated earthquake bulletins for felt events;
- new superproc "EXTENSO" plotting timeseries and maps from extensometer manual data (FORM);
- new superproc "NAQSSOHPLOT" plotting timeseries of NAQS metadata stations;
- new superproc "TILT" plotting timeseries, vectors and modelling tiltmeter data;
- new superproc "HELICORDER" plotting nice helicorders from seismic data;
- plots lines of transmission between NODES on location maps (GRID and NODE);
- possibility to add supplementary maps with user-defined area limits (GRID);
- export links of NODE's list in text (TXT), Excel-compatible (CSV) or Google-Earth (KML) formats;
- define a list of PROC's parameter keys that will be editable in the request data form;
- upload/associate photos to a NODE event or sub-event;
- multiple photos/files upload to a NODE;
- quick access link to previous/next photo associated to a NODE;
- photos associated to a NODE are now sorted in chronological order (timestamp from EXIF data);
- improvements and fixes to superprocs SEFRAN3, GENPLOT, GNSS, JERK, METEO;
Download the lastest release
Download previous releases here.
A detailed documentation WebObs_Manual.pdf (in progress) is available in the DOC/user-manual directory after extraction of the archive .tgz.
Source code, comments and issues are available at repository github.com/IPGP/webobs.
- Beauducel, F. and C. Anténor-Habazac (2002), Quelques éléments d'une surveillance opérationnelle..., Journées des Observatoires Volcanologiques, Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris, 25 janvier 2002. Full presentation (in French)
- Beauducel, F. (2006). Operational monitoring of French volcanoes: Recent advances in Guadeloupe. Géosciences, Editions BRGM, n°4, p 64-68, 2006. Abstract
- F. Beauducel, A. Bosson, F. Randriamora, C. Anténor-Habazac, A. Lemarchand, J-M Saurel, A. Nercessian, M-P Bouin, J-B de Chabalier, V. Clouard (2010). Recent advances in the Lesser Antilles observatories - Part 2 - WEBOBS: an integrated web-based system for monitoring and networks management. Paper presented at European Geosciences Union General Assembly, Vienna, 2-7 May 2010. Abstract
- Beauducel F., D. Lafon, X. Béguin, J.-M. Saurel, A. Bosson, D. Mallarino, P. Boissier, C. Brunet, A. Lemarchand, C. Anténor-Habazac, A. Nercessian, A. A. Fahmi (2020), WebObs: The volcano observatories missing link between research and real-time monitoring, Frontiers in Earth Sciences, DOI: 10.3389/feart.2020.00048. Abstract